Monday, January 21, 2008

Am i Dillusional?

Jop said...
I wonder what you are doing to improve your game.
When I read your blog it seems full of posts where you tell that you had another losing week. Playing 9 tables and nitting it up is imho bad if your game is not great yet. You could better take some time 2 tabling or so, or reviewing sessions in depth, than 9 tabling like a bot.

Just my 2 cents


I do alot to improve my game but i dont really discuss details on this blog because i dont think it would be an advantage to giving people who read this play against me on a regular basis.

I started this blog moreso for a discipline point of view but i do discuss whats going on im my game just not in detail, its more of a stats results blog to shame me into keeping disciplined. Yes i have leaks and yes even up to recently i had some reasonable leaks and i probably still have lots of leaks but im constantly improving, constantly thinking and reviewing my game and i think im playing as well as i ever have from an ability point of view and also a discipline point of view, but over the past 8 months on this blog i think ive came a long way and in particular i feel over the last few weeks i think ive made considerable strides in improving my game which i referred to at the time saying i felt things just clicked.

Maybe im being dellusional because my results havent reflected that recently but i think over the last few weeks i have been hitting bad variance even when i was doing well and i feel i can really push on now over the next few weeks. Weve heard it all before but even the top players have went through huge spells of bad variance, i read Jmans well the other morning and he commented that he ran well for the first 2 years and that had he experinced the variance that he experienced since that he may not have stuck it out.

I post my Hands regularly on forums and im involved in a private forum where we discuss theory, hand histories and do video sessions and a few other things. Youll rarely see a day pass when i dont write or reply to a HH or thread on theory.

I think up to the last few weeks i was doing things that were lowering my winrate considerably yet i had alot more leaks when i was easily beating 100nl in October and Early November, the difference i think was i was running hot then wheras im running bad now.

On the 9 tabling thing, there was a rakerace with $7.5k 1st prize for 2 weeks on ipoker, i taught that was worth a shot, after 2 days it seemed obvious i wasnt going to be anywhere near the top few so i just gave up. Its not something i plan on continuing, i wasnt abandoning my game to persue multitabling or neglecting the improvement of my game just capatilising on what i taught was a +EV oppurtunity but the competition was alot harder than i expected.

9 comments:

Panic said...

wow you dedicated a whole blog post to me, lol j/k mate.
But my remark was based on this blog, what you do besides keeping up this blog I did not know.
Just an example, not sure if it is representative for your game, of a hand we played this month.
I raise UTG+1, you call OTB.
Action postflop is not that important, because I think you made a questionable play preflop. You called a early position raise with A9s, in my opinion this is a clear example of a RIO situation and you did not think of the gap-concept here.
Not saying you are not working on your game, just giving you an example of a situation where I think I saw one of your very obvious leaks. Correct me if I am wrong btw.
You did won that hand, but I think in the long run it is not +EV,unless you were planning not to stack off with TP. My play in that hand was not great either btw.

dvdfan said...

I can vaguely remember the hand in question but it was along time ago prbably early Decemeber and table dynamics would be important, im never stacking off with A9 on A high against a TAG or 9 high for that matter and it was a questionable call and i think i got lucky and hit the flush or something.

One of my leaks which ive mentioned before on boards is overvaluing suited cards, i can tell you that i wouldnt have been calling hoping to get value from A9 on A high as i know it has reversed implied odds and its a win a small pot lose a big one, i could have just made a loose call possibly due to slight tilt or something or i could have been making a play since i was in position, maybe you were been very aggressive and i taught id see a flop and see if i could make a play since i was in positon, i dont really know until i see the HH because i dont remember the hand too well.

But yeah your right unless there was a few callers its not a profitable hand to play versus your raising range in early position, just not worth it really and i do appreciate the comments good and bad.

Was reading your blog there aswell nice to see youve made the move to 200nl, i was wondering why i didnt see you around lately but good luck anyway

Panic said...

All my replies are meant as helpfull thoughts not to criticise you. I play on Everest as well, and lately I have only been playin during the weekends.

I miss you too, lol!

Anonymous said...

Meh, dont let it get you down DVD.

You are a top player, you have the thinkinh and ability for higher than you do play.

Keep it up. Keep the blog to suit YOU.

later

theresalwaysone

Macspower said...

I rarely reply to your blog but read it every week and as you jnow have played a lot with you...

I have great respect for your game and you're one of the best 100nl players out there... SO keep the chin up....

Juts something I noticed myself... We often end up at the same tables due ot a fish sitting there with the help of eyepoker... I spend my time chasing these fish around as do you... but I sometimes wonder of it's profitable...

Last week I cahsed one of our frinds (70%+) to2 tables and drope 1k to him in a short space... I sometimes feel I'm as well playing my own profitable game against normal players... Note I said normal... as opposed to good! maybe worth looking at if you are getting unlucky vs fish...

anyway keep the chin up and keep blogging

Mac

dvdfan said...

Thanks for the kind words Mac, i was beginning to think the same thing myself, more on the lines of against "normal" players i can get a much more accurate read of their ranges and make better decisions but against players like him and others i basically get TP and play it like the nuts and hope he didnt hit this time. I really think our edge versus these players is huge but our variance is also going to be very big in the same direction but i just cant get over how often he seems to be hitting monsters.

For example the other night i stacked him about 4-5 times in the space of an hour. 1st one was for 138bb he hit flush i had 2 pair and i rivered the FH and got it all in on the river. 2nd one He had 79 on 68x board and rivered top pair but i had KK luckily and another 100bb, 3rd i had K high flush draw on flop, he had A high flush draw and i hit straight on turn but he hit trip Aces on river and i still took the pot, in all 3 hands i won in them instances i had to hit monsters to outdraw hes big hand so i look forward to the day someone like him sits at my table and he just keeps missing hes cards and i stack him multiple times with TP.

Also he is such a chaser that i dont think i used to make him pay enough, now im much more inclined to overpush the turn, i did it in the hand above where he had 79 on 68xx turn and he called all in for $80 on a $50 board, usually id bet 34-40 and he call and push when he hit on river and fold when he missed, since hes always chasing and cant fold overpushing seems a good tactic vs him.

Anyway things are going well this week and even after a 4bi downswing last night im still up about 12 bi so when my rake comes in early next month i should have around 20bi's alot sooner than i expected so im going to start taking shots at 200nl very soon, basically when i play ill check out 100nl and 200nl and select the best games available which is great because ive a bigger pool to choose from.

Playing 100nl for a living just isnt sustainable so i have to move up sooner rather than later

dvdfan said...

Also i should have mentioned that against players like him our edge is so big but so is the variance, as long as we have good bankroll management we should be killing fish like these once we get reads down but theres going to be days when he just stacks us again and again.

Macspower said...

lol at our friend alright....

stay where you are on 100nl for longer I think.... st least till I get to move to 2/4.... I'll tell you when ... dont be buillied by your br telling you to move! ;)

I'm having an ok month myself but took a turn for the worse on saturday with the 2 outter and the 1 otters being dealt against me several times...but all we can do is keep at them... glad to hear it's turned around for you

Anonymous said...

Just catching up again dvd on your blog.

Its a good read and suppose it has many similarities to my situations, which is helpful.


Hope to see ya move up to 200nl soon and i hope to make the plunge now too soon.

Regards,